Running, Forrest Gump Style

on Monday, January 18, 2010

Nothing like a marathon to get you thinking about your own running habits. If it's gonna be a marathon, it might as well be a cross country trek a la Gump. They are about as likely. So my Uncle Mark ran the Houston Marathon this weekend, at the age of 56. I watched him cross the finish line and my parents followed him most of the way.


 James, Dad, Uncle Mark


Now, never say never, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will ever catch me running a marathon. So with that in mind, let's start small. When I run, I do about a two mile stretch. Sometimes less, sometimes even less. But two miles. So for the first goal, it'll be a 5k. Nothing too difficult. To apply pressure to the situation, the family has volunteered me to run next year, in one of the 3 events. The full marathon(good joke), the half marathon(keep dreaming), or the 5k (bingo). A promise is a promise, and if my uncle can run 26, I can run 3. Having a year to run a 5k seems simple, and it is. But I would like to be in good enough shape that I can run it, with family watching, and not hang my head in shame. So this is the year of 5k's I've decided. My brother and father run them, so I know I'll have company. There, my goal is set (match).

0 comments:

Post a Comment