Let Me Tell You About My Saturday Morning or There Are Some Mo's In H-town

on Monday, January 25, 2010

This Saturday, I went to a class pertaining to my job. It was a mandatory orientation class but I was hopeful that I would be able to apply things I learned to the real world. Wrong-o. I am all for "bettering" myself and taking time to learn about my job, but this was ridiculous. Now, I can't divulge to many details, because the woman who ran the show made it clear she googles herself on a daily basis and I'd rather not start something unpleasant. We'll just call her Ash.

The room was had about 50 people in it of all ages, but at 24, I was definitely the low end. The class was about getting your name out there, and using websites and other tools to their maximum potential. Instead of asking us, have you heard of Facebook, she would say, "just FB me". I of course understood, but not everyone uses abbreviations to the extent of our generation. And yes most people know what FB means, or what Facebook us. But there were 60 year old men in this class, so let's give them a break. After she said it, she would pause, find the blank faces and say..."Do you not know what FB is? Facebook? Oh I have to show you." Every time. And yes, FB is well known, but she used it for at least 20 different websites. And every time, she would wait until someone had a blank face so she could "inform" us, the wait for the oohs and ahhs from the crowd. 

To add insult to injury were the jokes. Geez lady. She would say sentences, that were not in fact jokes, but would emphasize them in such a way that people laughed, I assumed out of politeness. You aren't funny. But somehow, they KEPT laughing. I couldn't believe it. I thought it would be us vs. her, but no, I was all alone in my cynicism.

She also kept saying "did ya get that? did ya get that?" Um yes lady, I heard the words you just said and understood the meaning. I swear she said it 75 times. Or after her "jokes", she would say "just saying". I am a user of just saying but she abused it to an inch of its life. Just sayin'.

I know I'm not doing this woman justice, I wish I had a recording, because I know I sound like some hyper critical, mean person. And I am. But I'm telling you, this woman could be a drinking game. Now on a weird, not so annoying just interesting point, we saw about 7 different pictures of her. All of them were different. She is in a business where you have a lot of head shots. One for twitter, one for Facebook, one for your business cards, other websites. Yadda yadda yadda. Now when I say different, ai don't mean backgrounds, I mean it looked like different people. The woman standing in front of me and the woman on her business card looked nothing alike. Then her Facebook picture appeared to be of a woman 15 years older. And she was decent looking in person, so I didn't understand why all her pictures of so funky. 

I guess this blog can be filed under the no patience heading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment