Austin Is, And Will Continue To Be, The Birthplace And Final Resting Place Of All That Is Cool, or, Labor Day Part: 2

on Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So, I love the drive to Austin. I know a lot of people really hate any distance longer than 15 miles, but they need to get over it. Going to Austin, all you think about is the awesome time you are about to have. The food you'll eat, the beer you'll drink. Add a football game on top of that, I'm in heaven.

In Texas Monthly last month, they showcased the 50 best burgers in Texas. Talk about setting a new goal for myself. I had actually had a good number on the list, but have since decided that that number is minuscule and must be changed. On 71, some of you may have stopped at Hruska's. It is a Chevron station in Ellinger. It is also the only place between Columbus and Bastrop where you are required to brake, lame ass 55mph. Whatever. But Hruska's makes this up to me by serving delectable food. They have kolaches (see below, for that love affair), a grill, a deli, and for those of you who don't know, I have a Chevron credit card, so this smorgasbord of awesomeness is basically free to me, jealous? So their burger made the list which means, even if it was 8:00 in the morning, I was gonna be eating one on this trip, suck it healthy living. I did however put off the feast until the trip back due to the time crunch that is pre-gaming. And their are few others who enjoy food like myself, but it just so happens that Nancy Sue(Momma) is one of them. Needless to say, we got pretty excited.

Then the hardest rain I've ever driven through, let me tell you. Straight white out. And of course, all I can think is how much it'll suck if it's raining at the game, but that's selfish. I mean, the Hill Country is only in one of the worst droughts ever, but hey, I need to enjoy my Saturday. Get to Austin, try to give Foley ample time to call me back, still a fail. Get a hold of Foley, go to Abel's. Foley thinks I need to catch up, so I am given a Texas Iced Tea, which is a Long Island, with more alcohol. I didn't know there could BE more alcohol, but I'm not complaining. Ran into high school friends. Now I'm all for combining groups of friends, but when they try to find a point of commonality, and that point is making fun of you, it's time to go. I'm sure most of you are aware of this, but I have to point something out. At UT football games, the lack of beer inside the stadium means you need to get drunk enough to walk, but not drunk enough to sober up before half time. Of course there is the flask option, but some of us are forgetful, so there ya go. Game was awesome. Accidentally cock blocked Mr. Foley. Total accident, but hey, who lies about being a junior in college at the age of 24. I mean, at least say a senior. Foley, do you realize you were 20, when you started junior year, dumb. Went back to Abel's, got hammered, watched OU get embarrassed, and proceeded to house party. Left so called house party, called my mom.

I know, awesome right. You know when you are in high school, and your mom says, "no matter what, you can call me, no questions asked, I won't be mad". We've all heard it. It took me until I was almost 24 to pull that, hopefully she wasn't mad, but for once I wanted to spend a Saturday night in a bed, and not on the floor or couch. Walked through West Campus with my beer, because, there is no open container law in Austin. Hmm, somehow that doesn't sound right. Nancy picked me up while I was wandering down 24th St, classy. Went home and slept the sleep of the innocent, which of course means, party clothes and makeup on, passed out, mouth open. Saturday: Mission Complete.

1 comments:

kate said...

Wait a second. How come I've never heard of Hruska's?? I went to the cookie lady in Plum until she died, and you never shared this bit of grease heaven with me?? Don't you know how often I get hungry on that long drive down 71?

Post a Comment