My Amazing Powers of Persuasion... If Only I Could Use Them On Someone Besides Myself.

on Thursday, February 4, 2010

Per my previous post, I am running this year. I'm not saying something ridiculous, like run a marathon. My goal is to run 5k's, emphasis on the "s", as in multiple. If I went out and ran, I could run the 3.1 miles it took to fulfill this goal. But the reason for the "s" is that I believe that if I am in good enough shape to run 5k's, I am in good enough shape. And contrary to popular belief, I like working out. I understand the concept of endorphins. It makes me feel better. Physically and mentally. Now, with all these reasons, it would take quite a professional manipulator to convince me I would be better served sitting on the couch. Enter, me.

I have been running now for 3 weeks, no big thing. But seeing as how once you workout for a couple of weeks, you get addicted, I am in crucial "keep at it" phase. The first 2 weeks went by easy. Ran my mandatory 3 times the first week. For the second week, I got out there 4 times. I knew the cold weather was coming, so I wanted to front load my week so I wouldn't miss workouts. Cold weather you say? If I am speaking to yankees, you will not understand. For the first 2 weeks, I was running in the upper 60's. It was glorious. The last 6 days have been in the low 50's. I do understand the 50 is not cold, but coupled with darkness and rain, it's just not going to happen. Nope.

Monday. I have all week. We'll wait till it warms up a bit.

On Tuesday, I decided, fuck it, I can do it. But then I remembered that only 5 minutes earlier I had decided to wash my running clothes, because I wasn't running that night. Very tricky on my part. 

Wednesday. Enough is enough. I don't car how cold it is, I'm running. On the drive home, the rain started. At first it was just spitting, I decided I was gonna be real tough. But by the time I got home, pouring. Not gonna do it.

Which brings us to Thursday. Make or break time. My phone was dead, so I had to charge it, for music purposes. Run without music? What is this, the '90s? So while that was happening, I turned on the TV, got wrapped up in a show, so I had to finish that. You can feel where this is going right. Master manipulator at work, the later I wait the colder and nastier it gets. There's only one thing that can bring a person back after such an enticing argument: a snide comment from The Mother.

Yes, she was there, in all her glory to ask the obvious question, " so, how was the run?". I'm going, geez.

So I went. I ran. I'm home. Where's the remote?






2 comments:

lschro said...

Bahaha...oh Nancy, always knowing the right thing to say...

lhendley said...

I haven't run outside since daylight savings time ended. I refuse if it's below 60 or dark outside. So, you're doing much better than me!

Great news though, daylight savings is just around the corner.

Post a Comment